This week we’re rewinding episode 27 of the Birmingham Shines podcast featuring Birmingham mixed media artist Susan Shoemaker, who works under the name pencilpress. As it happens, Susan / @pencilpress / is the featured artist for this month’s Birmingham Artwalk downtown. Susan markets her work under the pencilpress brand, which connects to her college art […]
This New Year’s Day most southerners will be cooking black-eyed peas for good luck, and that includes recipes for Hoppin’ John. We’ll also be eating greens along with them, and don’t forget the hot cornbread, slathered in butter, ready for dunking. While some southern folk claim that eating black-eyed peas for good luck are a […]
I am not in favor of making New Year resolutions because making them puts a lot of pressure on you to be successful. It’s a big let down when you don’t achieve them, and it seems like one broken resolution is a domino effect for all of the rest.
When I moved back to Birmingham from Washington, D.C. several years ago, I began a tradition of cooking breakfast Christmas morning.
- The True Story of Hoppin’ John December 30, 2017
- Setting 2018 goals instead of resolutions December 29, 2017
- Christmas memories found in cooking Christmas breakfast December 18, 2017
- Alabama’s beautiful snow in early December December 15, 2017
- Sonya Clemmons tells inspiring southern stories through her artwork November 19, 2017